Sunday, May 17, 2020

Praise God, He makes the unworthy worthy in Him.

"Sometimes, I don't feel like I'm good enough."
A plaguing thought, no doubt, and, in some sense, always true.
Can I save myself? No.
Can I make myself holy by my own power? No.
Does my goodness impress God? No.
Can I save others? No.
Even if I did die for my sin, would my death be good enough? No.
Can I make someone believe the gospel? No.
Am I God? No.
Wait! Before we get down on ourselves; before we start self-deprecating, let's stand in God's word.
The Apostle Paul SEEMED to be a genius, but he asked a probing question: "To those who are perishing, we are a dreadful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved, we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this?" (2 Corinthians 2:16 NLT) Isn't that a big question? "Who is adequate for such a task as this?" Wow!
"Who is equal to such a task?" (NIV)"Who is sufficient for these things?" (ESV)
"And who is competent for this?" (HCSB)
"Who is qualified for this?" (ISB)

It reminds me of another difficult question (from Romans 7:24b)...
"Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death?" (NIV)
"Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?" (NLT)
"Who will deliver me from this body of death?" (ESV)
"Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord." (Romans 7:25a NLT)
So, who is adequate? Who is competent? Who is qualified? Who is equal to the task? Who is sufficent?
Thank God, HE IS ABLE! He is exceedingly, abundantly, far more than able!
"Such is the confidence that we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God, who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life." (2 Corinthians 3:4-6 ESV)
Yes, God is able. We are not. In Him, we are able, but not alone. Any good that comes surely comes from Him. He is able. Let us seek Him, and yield. Let us know Him, and worship. Let us hear Him, and obey. Whatever He calls us to, He will see us through.

No comments: