Saturday, May 30, 2020

Hope is fixed expectation that shapes present moment values and action.

Christian hope is the present tense expectation in the living and coming promises of God. For example, right now, I expect the return of Christ. Because that is my hope, it shapes my actions in the present and sets my expectations for the future.

Sovereignty takes away pride. God is in control; He is all powerful, ever-present, all-knowing, and nothing is impossible for Him. Because God is, and because God does, there is nothing for us to take pride in! God's sovereignty should drive out our pride!

God's love takes away fear. When we understand the holy and awesome lengths God has gone through to express His love, and the extent to which He has expressed His love, and we receive the great gift of His love, we know we don't have to fear His presence or His judgment.

Hope directed by sovereignty and love... no pride and no fear! We are not better than a single soul, nor are we afraid for our souls. We are waiting in and looking forward to the promises of God.

Not living in pride, we don't need to compete with everyone about everything. Not living in pride, we are open hearted to God speaking, leading, and sending. Not living in pride, we can worship up toward God without shame and alongside man without reservation.

Living in the love of God...
Living on the love of God...
Living out the love of God...

...well, that changes everything! To be accepted in the Righteous means we have access to the Father, peace with the Father, power from the Father, and fellowship with the Father. Being loved in the Beloved, we are sons and daughters in the household, not slaves in the vineyard. Because we are loved, we can love others.

I've got hope! He is Sovereign! I am loved!

Psalm 39:4–7 says, “O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am! Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths, and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Surely for nothing they are in turmoil; man heaps up wealth and does not know who will gather! And now, O Lord, for what do I wait? My hope is in you." (ESV)



No comments: