Friday, May 29, 2020

I am coming to you in the name of the Lord!

Sometimes I look at this painting from Caravaggio...

I like to think of the Great Hero of the Bible. I like to think of God. I like to remember how all of the victories and victors of my favorite Bible stories are not the true heroes. God is the hero! He is the author of every victory and the power behind every victor.

How could a ruddy, sheep-keeping boy find such courage? How could an overlooked little brother strike down a giant of a warrior? How could the lunch delivery boy find the boldness to step forward in battle, deliver the lines of a conqueror and boldly face a nation's champion? Simple; if God be for us, no one can stand against us. Period.

I saved a picture of Caravaggio's painting to my computer and I look at it from time to time. 1 Samuel 17 floods to my mind. Here's my favorite part: "David shouted in reply, 'You come to me with a sword and a spear, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of the armies of heaven and of Israel—the very God whom you have defied. Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head; and then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel! And Israel will learn that the Lord does not depend on weapons to fulfill his plans—he works without regard to human means! He will give you to us!'" (paraphrase of verses 45-47 from "The Living Bible")

Very often, I tell my problems these bold truths. Problem, you are coming to me with ___________, but I am looking you square in the face, and I'm coming at you in the name of the Lord! Today, Problem, God will conquer you!

Problem, the Lord does not depend on the weapons of this world to fulfill His plans; He works without regard to human means.

Thanks, David, for trusting God. I appreciate your example.

Thanks, Caravaggio, for giving the world this painting. I appreciate your talent.

Thank You, Father, for being the Warrior I need, the Father I crave and the Friend who sticks closer than a brother. I appreciate Your everything.



No comments: