Thursday, January 23, 2020

A short word on parenting.

What I'm telling the man in the mirror about parenting!
YOU start obeying God and watch your children change...
I am blessed with two fantastic daughters;
Rachel (L) and Katie (R).
They are both fairly close to being grown, independent
women, yet I don't ever plan to stop parenting them.
Different seasons of life mean my role shape-shifts, but
util the Lord calls us to our heavenly home, I am their dad.
I don't ever want to stop growing as a parent. God called me
to this honorable position when He gave me these
darling young ladies, and I don't plan on abdicating
my calling. 
Too many of us parents want our children to "be good" when we have no intention of it ourselves.
YOU be the model: Titus 2:7 says, "Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity..."
YOU have to have it in YOUR heart before you teach it to theirs; YOUR example will be your strongest teaching tool: Deuteronomy 6:6-9 says, "And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."
YOU have to train up your child, and know them uniquely: Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." (NOTE: in the way HE/SHE should specifically go! God makes EACH CHILD unique!)
YOU must discipline YOUR child (not the school or the church): Proverbs 13:24 says, "Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."
YOU must be balanced; it's not just the rod, but the gentle heart, too: Proverbs 19:18 says, "Discipline your son, for there is hope; do not set your heart on putting him to death."
Before any of us expect to have great children, we ought to expect ourselves to be great children of the Lord. 

No comments: