Thursday, January 16, 2020

Heavy and good words.

I took this picture from a hymnal at Beth
Carr Church in Halifax, VA. It had been
a long time since I'd sang this hymn. I
nearly wept as we sang these beautiful
words. Thanks be to God for those
who are listening when He grants His
people songs to sing. Thank God He gifts
people with the ability to put the words
and the notes together for us. 
"...entrusted with the gospel..."
Wow, those four words floor me.
I delivered a $247,000.00 check once. I couldn't cash it, and, even if I was robbed, they couldn't cash it. Nonetheless, carrying a check for nearly 1/4 million dollars was daunting.

Bigger and weightier than that, saying "I do" and driving away from church with those vows in my mind, leading my home in my heart, and my new bride by my side were heavy with a capital everything.
Then, that first child being born, and a second, and with each and both, holding them in my arms, staring in their faces, thinking about their futures, and hearing them breathe, and thinking about the awesome responsibilities that lay before me as a father was weighty.
Being entrusted with the gospel weighs even more.
"For our appeal does not spring from error or impurity or any attempt to deceive, but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts." (1 Thessalonians 2:3-4 ESV)
Being entrusted with the gospel is a solemn trust. It is a solemn trust because those who are entrusted with the gospel are called to live worthy of the gospel. They are called to preserve the gospel in their hearts, homes, houses of worship, and communities. Being entrusted with the gospel comes with the solemn expectation to carry the gospel to others.
Living it.
Keeping the salt salty.
Sharing the gospel.

Whew. What a blessing to be entrusted with the gospel. What a weight! 
Thank God, it's better than gold and silver, and worth even more.

No comments: