Monday, January 13, 2020

Default settings.

From our despair to His delight...
Sometimes it feels like all of life is a mule that has kicked me in the chest. Do you know that feeling?
Do you know the feeling of being at the place where you'd just as soon give up and go live in a cave?
I know that feeling. But, when I am tempted to despair, or sliding into despair, I hit some default settings and move back up to the Lord
The following is one of those passages that gives me focus and encouragement in those times.
"Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for 'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.' Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen." (1 Peter 5:5-11 ESV)
First, I need to remember to submit my will to God. Many times my frustration and pain is stemming from the desire to run my life my way for my own reasons and for my own conclusions. Many times I am trying to write a script to my life that the Produce and Director doesn't have in His plans. So, I need fresh surrender. I need to be submitted to God and and seek counsel from those He has appointed to tend the flock.
Also, I need humility. Point blank and period, humility is necessary for joy in the Lord! We are to place ourselves in the right position before God and others, which is the position of servant.
Next, I lay my case and my cares out before the Lord. God's plan is to "exalt you" -- that is, lift you up --and that begins with us "casting all your anxieties upon Him..." Fast, pray, gather trusted friends to pray with you, but lay your case and your cares out before the Lord. However we each process, it's important that we do it. Do you journal? Do you get down at the altar? Do you take a quiet walk? Put your situation in God's hand and cease striving what we trust Him to work.
Added to that, it's wise to make sure we are "sober-minded and watchful." We need a clear head, a clear heart, and spiritual vision that is fixed on the Lord. The stakes are high in this area because "our adversary" is out to get us! It's important to remember, especially in times of despair, that PEOPLE are not my enemies, even when they are acting as such. My "adversary" is the devil.
Part of being sober-minded and watchful is being careful to serve the Lord. Many of our issues stem from spending so much time thinking about self and serving self. When we spend too much time on self, and what self wants and desires, self will consume us! So, be sober about self, and be watchful in serving the Lord. Likewise to your work, also be watchful in your worship. Worship when you're alone, establish worship in our home, and be careful to faithfully gather with the people of God. So many believers are out of sorts because they only serve self and are failing to worship God!
I need to remember that I am not suffering alone! The Bible says, "... knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world." My situation is not so unique!
Lastly, I wait and watch God work! This passage reminds me that Christ Himself will "...himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you." I am being sanctified! I am growing! I am being prepared for glory! All these things are working together for my good that I might be conformed into the image of Christ!
When I take into hand those things in my control (worship, serving, etc.), and when I get some perspective (people are not my enemies and I am not going through this alone), and when I remember God's great plans for me (restore, confirm, strengthen, establish), I begin to move out of despair and into delighting in the Lord.
Be blessed, today, my friends. I pray God meet with us as we consider these things.

No comments: