Monday, January 06, 2020

Storm? Yes. Is Jesus in your boat?

Rembrandt's wonderful painting "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee" is one of my all time favorites. One time I heard a preacher say, "Don't tell God how big your storm is; tell the storm how big your God is!" I liked that then and I like it today. 

Here's another one, "There may be a storm rocking my boat, but I have Jesus in the boat, and He's calming me in the squall." 

If you know Him today, it does not mean you will not face a storm! But if you know Him today, it means you'll never be alone in bad weather! Hallelujah!

I never pretend the storm is not real. I preach to it. I preach to me. I remember who is in the boat with me! C'mon now! Someone needs this word today!

Yes, and though He slay me, and even if He lets the boat sink, I'd rather sink with Jesus than stand on dry shore alone. Yea though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him. He is my strong shield, my refuge, my rock and my redeemer.

I'm no fool...I won't shout at the thunder and lightening, nor beg the gale to rush me with all its force. No, no, no...I'll neither tempt God nor feign strength...I'll cry "mercy!" Neither will I forget Him who walks the waves, calms the sea and sits in the boat with me. Whenever I am afraid, I will put my trust in Him!

Thank you, Mr. van Rijn for your wonderful painting.** Thank You, sweet, strong Jesus, for being in the boat. 

"And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, 'Save us, Lord; we are perishing.' And he said to them, 'Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?' Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. And the men marveled, saying, 'What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?'" (Matthew 8:23-27 ESV)

**Interesting post script: this original by Rembrandt was on display in Boston, MA in 1990 when it was stolen. It has yet to be recovered.

No comments: