Friday, July 03, 2020

a testimony about being faithful in small ways

Brothers and sisters in Christ, and friends in this world, I surrendered to God in Christ Jesus in March, 1997. Since day one of being a disciple of Jesus, I prayed, "Lord, You are my Dad, and I am Your boy. I will do as you tell me."

From the very first day I was saved, I knew I was supposed to be serving God. I wanted to do whatever was noble and helpful.

I started gathering with the Body of Christ a few weeks after beginning my walk with God. Time passed, I studied the Word at home, came under teaching in my local church, listened to lectures on tapes, listened to preaching on the radio, went to Sunday School, attended Bible studies, had wonderful conversations with other believers, and tried to engage with the Word of God in every possible way I could.

I began helping with the children's ministry at church, started leading a Bible study group, began teaching Sunday School, and even began speaking in various circles. It became obvious to me that God was giving me a ministry of the Word.

Later on, I began writing a "daily thought," or, as it quickly became called, "Light Steps" (named after 1 John 1:5-7). At first, I just wrote them in a notebook for myself. I did that for over a year. Later, I began sharing them with others via email.

By then, I'd begun preaching regularly, and I continued teaching in various circles. I'd also surrendered to the call of vocational ministry, started my theological training, and taken a position in a local church as an associate pastor.

I kept writing little, daily portions. I just wanted to stay faithful to what I'd discerned God had told me to do. That developed into writing in social media formats, a blog, and several books.

A great many things have happened in these 23 years and 4 months since I started walking with Jesus. It's been just a bit over 20 years since I surrendered to my call to vocational ministry.

I am still trying to simply be God's boy. I want Him to lead me. I want to say every day that I am trying to love Him and love others.

I know I am not a great writer.

I know I am not a great preacher.

I know I am not a great teacher.

I don't know that I want to be great. Fact is, I don't want to famous; I KNOW that. I am totally at peace with not being great in the sense of being famous, but I do want to grow and pursue excellence.

I do want to be faithful.

About a year ago, I realized I was not going to escape from the nagging leading of God to start doing a podcast. Yes, I know I am not a great podcaster either. However, again, I just want to be faithful.

My brother, Shannon Allen, created a website for me, and he maintains it. My brother, Steven Reilly helped me with some equipment. My friend, Andrew Liggitt, produces all the podcast episodes and does all the hard work of putting the audio together and publishing it. My daughter, Katie Bowes, does all the quality checks and the audio to open and close the podcasts. Wow! What a blessing these beautiful people are to me! I am just trying to be faithful, and God uses these people to help me be faithful.

Why am I sharing all of this? Well, if you've read this far, let me tell you.

It seemed to me that God kept pressing my spirit to share it.

Maybe some of you are trying to listen to God and discover how He wants you to be faithful, and this testimony might encourage you.

I believe being a humble servant is the pathway to greatness and joy. I believe being faithful in whatever God gives you to do doesn't make YOU great, but it brings you near Him who is great. :)

I wanted to share with y'all the location to connect with the books, the blog, and the podcast all in one place. Website: lightsteps.live

Brothers and sisters, I am a thankful man. I think about 1 Samuel 12:24 quite a bit: "Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you." Wow! What great things God has done for me! I am saved from hell. I am in fellowship with the Father. I have a great wife. I have wonderful daughters. I have a tremendous church family. I have people to serve Jesus with.

I will fail. I have failed.

I will fall over dead one day.

In between those failures, and in spite of them, and until I fall over dead, I only want to fear the Lord and serve Him, and, even if I could stay awake 24/7/365, I could not honor Him enough for all the great things He has done for me.

Peace to all who read this.


No comments: