Sunday, July 12, 2020

God's glory humbles a person...

When we engage with God, or even if we engage with His glory or one of His creatures cloaked in glory, we are humbled to the point of weakness.

Consider Daniel's testimony of such an encounter from Daniel 10:8 (in a few different translations)...

"So I was left alone and saw this great vision, and no strength was left in me. My radiant appearance was fearfully changed, and I retained no strength." (ESV)

"So I was left there all alone to see this amazing vision. My strength left me, my face grew deathly pale, and I felt very weak." (NLT)

"Therefore I was left alone, and saw this great vision, and there remained no strength in me: for my comeliness was turned in me into corruption, and I retained no strength." (KJV)

IF a man or a woman sits in a lofty tower of his / her own self-esteem, and never leaves the fortress of his / her own perceived greatness ... if we imagine we have a goodness of our own doing or a rightness that puts us above others ... if we deign to think we are impenetrable and untouchable or that we can pull ourselves up by our own boot straps or that we can ever even be self-made or self-sustaining... we have not encountered the living God.

God's glory humbles a person. If we have never been humbled, we might well wonder if we've ever encountered Him. If we are never humbled in the exercise of our religion, we may be going through the motions and missing out on Him who makes it all move.


No comments: