Thursday, July 23, 2020

IF you love the Bible, and IF you love people...

For WE who CLAIM to love the Bible...

It says a great many things. It constantly reveals how messed up WE are and how good God is. It reveals that HE is holy, and without Him, we are hopeless. 

It should be much read, and more lived. 

Its full counsel should be oft considered before being some quoted. 

I find many things that trouble me, and it's mostly not the things I don't agree with others about, but the things I too often agree with myself about. In the Scriptures, I am constantly challenged
...admonished
...humbled
...broken
...found unworthy and wholly needy. 

But, when I am reading God’s word, even in the issues I don't agree with others about, I am careful to make sure it's not my preference that I feel is violated, versus my adherence to truth. You see, I long to agree with God, and I've come to understand it's not about me agreeing with you or you agreeing with me, but us agreeing with God. 

That's a struggle. I recognize that it's a struggle. I confess it. Even when I know what God says, I often struggle to make it a reality in my life. 

So, to my beloved brothers and sisters, when you find yourself loving the Bible and disagreeing with someone else, consider the following (I've listed it in a few translations and a couple paraphrases, so, perhaps, I'll find the one each of you likes best)...

 “correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth,” (2 Timothy 2:25 ESV)

“with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,” (2 Timothy 2:25 NASB)

“In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;” (2 Timothy 2:25 KJV)

“instructing his opponents with gentleness. Perhaps God will grant them repentance leading them to the knowledge of the truth.” (2 Timothy 2:25 HCSB) 

“Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people's hearts, and they will learn the truth.” (2 Timothy 2:25 NLT)

 “Be humble when you are trying to teach those who are mixed up concerning the truth. For if you talk meekly and courteously to them, they are more likely, with God’s help, to turn away from their wrong ideas and believe what is true.” (2 Timothy 2:25 TLB)

God is right. About what? Yes. Everything.

May we be gently instructed by Him, and may we wish the same for others. Be blessed, beloved friends.


No comments: