Friday, July 17, 2020

No man can tame the tongue, but the Spirit can.

The need for a powerful filter...

The Apostle James said, “For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind, but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.” (James 3:7-8 ESV)

The part that grips me this morning is “...but no human being can tame the tongue.”

I believe that. No one can. If a tongue is tamed, whether for a moment or for a lifetime, it is a work of God.

And, listen, don’t pick quiet a tongue as a tamed tongue. We all know that among few words there can also be wrong words.

What then?

We need Holy Ghost help.

First, restraint. Spirit, hold back my word until I have sought Your help.

Second, redirection. Spirit, take my mind to scriptural precepts and principles and promises that match my thinking with the Father’s revelation and mind.

Third, attitude and method. Spirit, help me not just to say what is wise and what is right, but to speak saltily, with Your gentleness and Your timing and Your wisdom. Help me not only to not be careless, but careful, caring, and kind without forsaking forthright, forthcoming, and truthfulness.

Father, I am a man, and I believe You when you say no man can tame the tongue. I believe YOU can tame my tongue. I submit to you my speech and attitude and believe You for power and growth.



No comments: